Locally, the SMHWC had 11 new cases on Thursday the 30th of December, and contact tracers were informed of another 15 cases over the weekend. Menominee also saw a very big number of new cases, leading to a closure of all facilities, bars, restaurants, educational facilities, and places of worship through January 9th.
The rapid increase in new cases appears to be partly due to holiday gatherings, and partly due to the new Omicron variant. Omicron is a variant of COVID-19 that is more contagious than any other variant we have seen. Scientist say that Omicron is much more contagious than the Delta variant.
The recent growth in Covid-19 cases has greatly increased the demand for COVID-19 tests. The SMHWC filled most of the testing schedule for Tuesday the 4th and filled many of the scheduled slots for Wednesday the 5th of January. If you need a quick test, you may have to wait until Thursday. The SMHWC and Stockbridge-Munsee Occupational Health will continue testing, but we ask that you take some precautions until you are able to be tested.
For the next 3 weeks please be extra diligent to:
- If you have symptoms of COVID-19 (Fever or chills, Cough, Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, Fatigue, Muscle or body aches, Headache, New loss of taste or smell, Sore throat, Congestion or runny nose, Nausea or vomiting, Diarrhea) stay home, and isolate yourself until you can be tested. Be sure to inform your supervisor and Occupational Health.
- If someone in your household is positive for covid or has symptoms, stay home.
- If you tested positive on an at home test, you have Covid, Quarantine at home.
- Wear a mask when in public or around others who are not in your household
- Limit gathering sizes.
- Do not take smoke breaks or lunch breaks with other, instead spread out more than 6 ft apart.
- Call your friends and family instead of visiting them in person.
- Eat at home instead of going out.
- Use National Guard Testing on Wednesday and Thursday. Testing on Wednesday the 5th will be from 9am – 5pm at the Casino, and Thursday the 6th will be from 8am – 4pm at the P& E building.